Tuesday, March 2, 2010

That's My Boy

This past week Chris grandmother passed away. We headed up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan for the funeral. It was actually a pretty good drive. We rode with Chris' parents and his sister. It was great to all ride together and have the time to talk.

The UP is like a whole separate country, socially. I can not really explain what I mean, but I am sure if you have been you understand. The kids were playing with the pastor's son at the funeral home. I could easily tell, within a few moments, that he was not developmentally on target. He was very sweet and friendly and played great with the kids. His mom shared that he was adopted locally, and his birthmom was drinking and doing drugs throughout the pregnancy. People in the church told them not to adopt him and did not seem very supportive. Thankfully they did not listen to them and now he has a very loving mom and dad! Anyways, the people in the church were constantly yelling at the boy to stay away and not touch this or that. When we first met him he said, "You miss Anna (Chris' grandmother) too. She called me her boy. When she saw me she say, 'That's my boy!'" It was said with such love. I love that she, Grandma, loved him and he knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment